If you'd like to learn more in-depth information about the research projects that MAISRC undertakes, read these peer-reviewed papers that have been published by MAISRC researchers.
Zielinski DP, Sorensen P.W. (2017) Silver, bighead, and common carp orient to acoustic particle motion when avoiding a complex sound. PLoS ONE 12(6):e0180110.
- Claus, A., Sorensen, P.W. (2017) Chemical Cues which Include Amino Acids Mediate Species-Specific Feeding Behavior in Invasive Filter-Feeding Bigheaded Carps. J Chem Ecol. doi:10.1007/s10886-017-0833-0
- Ghosal R, Xiong PX, Sorensen P.W. (2016) Invasive Bighead and Silver Carps Form Different Sized Shoals that Readily Intermix. PLoS ONE 11(6): e0157174. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0157174
- Hoover, J.J, Zielinski, D.P, and P.W. Sorensen 2016. Swimming performance of adult bighead carp Hypophthalmichthys nobilis (Richardson, 1845) and silver carp H. molitrix (Valenciennes, 1844). Applied Ichthyology 206: 1-9.
- Eichmiller, J.J., Hamilton, M.J., Staley, C., Sadowsky, M.J. and P.W. Sorensen. 2016. Environment shapes the fecal microbiome of invasive carp species. Microbiome 4: 44. DOI 10.1186/s40168-016-0190-1.
- Ghosal, R., Sorensen, P.W. (2016) Male-typical courtship, spawning behavior, and olfactory sensitivity are induced to different extents by androgens in the goldfish suggesting they are controlled by different neuroendocrine mechanisms, Journal of General and Comparative Endocrinology, doi:10.1016/j.ygcen.2016.04.028
- Hansen, A., Ghosal, R., Caprio, J., Claus, A.W., Sorensen, P.W. (2014) Anatomical and physiological studies of bigheaded carps demonstrate that the epibranchial organ functions as a pharyngeal taste organ, Journal of Experimental Biology 2014 217: 3945-3954; doi: 10.1242/jeb.107870
- Zielinski, D.P., and Sorensen, P.W. (2016) Bubble curtain deflection screen diverts the movement of both Asian and Common Carps, North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 36, 267-276.
- Kokotovich, A., Andow, D., Potential adverse effects and management of Silver and Bighead carp in Minnesota: Findings from focus groups (Working paper)
- Kokotovich, A., Andow, D., (2017), Exploring tensions and conflicts in invasive species management: The case of Asian carp, Environmental Science & Policy, Volume 69, March 2017, Pages 105–112
- Keegan Lund, Kylie Bloodsworth Cattoor, Eric Fieldseth, Jill Sweet & Michael A. McCartney (2017): Zebra mussel (Dreissena polymorpha) eradication efforts in Christmas Lake, Minnesota, Lake and Reservoir Management, DOI: 10.1080/10402381.2017.1360417
Lechelt, J. D., & Bajer, P. G. (2016). Elucidating the mechanism underlying the productivity-recruitment hypothesis in the invasive common carp. Aquatic Invasions, 11(4), 469-482.
- Sorensen, P.W. and N.S. Johnson 2016. Theory and application of semiochemicals in invasive fish control. Journal of Chemical Ecology 42: 692-715.
- Huser, B.J., Bajer, P.G., C.J. Chizinski and P.W. Sorensen. 2016. Effects of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) on sediment mixing and phosphorous availability in a shallow lake. Hydrobiologia 763 (1): 22-23
- Chizinski, C.J., Bajer, P.G., Headrick, M, and P.W. Sorensen. 2016. Different migratory behaviors of invasive adult Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio) and native Northern Pike (Esox lucius) allow for selective blocking. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 36.4: 769-779.
- Bajer, P. G., Beck, M. W., Cross, T. K., Koch, J. D., Bartodziej, W. M. and Sorensen, P. W. (2016), Biological invasion by a benthivorous fish reduced the cover and species richness of aquatic plants in most lakes of a large North American ecoregion. Global Change Biology. doi: 10.1111/gcb.13377
- Bajer, P.G., Sorensen, P.W. (2015) Effects of common carp on phosphorus concentrations, water clarity, and vegetation density: a whole system experiment in a thermally stratified lake, Hydrobiologia Volume 746, Issue 1, pp 303-311, doi: 10.1007/s10750-014-1937-y
- D.P. Zielinski, V.R. Voller, J.C. Svendsen, M. Hondzo, A.F. Mensinger, P.W. Sorensen (2014) Laboratory experiments demonstrate that bubble curtains can effectively inhibit movement of common carp, Ecological Engineering Volume 67, June 2014, Pages 95–103, doi:10.1016/j.ecoleng.2014.03.003
- Eichmiller JJ, Bajer PG, Sorensen PW (2014) The Relationship between the Distribution of Common Carp and Their Environmental DNA in a Small Lake. PLoS ONE 9(11): e112611. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0112611
- Bajer, P. G., Parker, J. E., Cross, T. K., Venturelli, P. A. and Sorensen, P. W. (2015), Partial migration to seasonally-unstable habitat facilitates biological invasions in a predator-dominated system. Oikos, 124: 1520–1526. doi: 10.1111/oik.01795
- Bajer, P. G., Cross, T. K., Lechelt, J. D., Chizinski, C. J., Weber, M. J. and Sorensen, P. W. (2015), Across-ecoregion analysis suggests a hierarchy of ecological filters that regulate recruitment of a globally invasive fish. Diversity Distrib., 21: 500–510. doi:10.1111/ddi.12315
- Eichmiller, J. J., Miller, L. M. and Sorensen, P. W. (2015), Optimizing techniques to capture and extract environmental DNA for detection and quantification of fish. Molecular Ecology Resources, 16: 56–68. doi: 10.1111/1755-0998.12421
- Zielinski, D. P. and Sorensen, P. W. (2015), Field test of a bubble curtain deterrent system for common carp. Fisheries Management and Ecology, 22: 181–184. doi: 10.1111/fme.12108
- Eichmiller, J.J., Best, Sendrea, and Sorensen, P.W. (2016), Effects of Temperature and Trophic State on Degradation of Environmental DNA in Lake Water. Environmental Science & Technology Article, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.5b0567
- Lechelt, J.D. and Bajer, P.G., 2016. Modeling the potential for managing invasive common carp in temperate lakes by targeting their winter aggregations. Biological Invasions, pp.1-9.
- Romero-Alvarez D, Escobar LE, Varela S, Larkin DJ, Phelps NBD (2017) Forecasting distributions of an aquatic invasive species (Nitellopsis obtusa) under future climate scenarios. PLoS ONE 12(7): e0180930. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0180930
- Escobar, L. E., Qiau, H., Phelps, N., Wagner, C., Larkin, D.J. (2016), Realized niche shift associated with the Eurasian charophyte Nitellopsis obtusa becoming invasive in North America. Sci. Rep. 6, 29037; doi: 10.1038/srep29037
- Hunt, V. M., J. B. Fant, L. Steger, P. E. Hartzog, E. V. Lonsdorf, S. K. Jacobi, and D. J. Larkin. 2017. PhragNet: crowdsourcing to investigate ecology and management of invasive Phragmites australis (common reed) in North America. Wetlands Ecology and Management DOI 10.1007/s11273-017-9539-x.
- Fant, J. B., A. L. Price, and D. J. Larkin. 2016. The influence of habitat disturbance on genetic structure and reproductive strategies within stands of native and non-native Phragmites australis (common reed). Diversity and Distributions 22:1301–1313.
- Newman, R. M., and W. G. Inglis. 2009. Distribution and abundance of the milfoil weevil, euhrychiopsis lecontei, in Lake Minnetonka and relation to milfoil harvesting. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 47(1):21-25
- Marko, M. D., E. M. Gross, R. M. Newman, and F. K. Gleason. 2008. Chemical profile of the North American native Myriophyllum sibiricum compared to the invasive M. spicatum. Aquatic Botany 88(1):57-65
- James A. Johnson , Ajay R. Jones & Raymond M. Newman (2012): Evaluation of lakewide, early season herbicide treatments for controlling invasive curlyleaf pondweed (Potamogeton crispus) in Minnesota lakes, Lake and Reservoir Management, 28:4, 346-363
- Ajay R. Jones , James A. Johnson & Raymond M. Newman (2012): Effects of repeated, early season, herbicide treatments of curlyleaf pondweed on native macrophyte assemblages in Minnesota lakes, Lake and Reservoir Management, 28:4, 364-374
Pathogens and harmful microbes
- Escobar LE, Qiao H, Lee C and Phelps NBD (2017) Novel Methods in Disease Biogeography: A Case Study with Heterosporosis. Front. Vet. Sci. 4:105. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2017.00105
- Phelps N., Mor S.K., Armién AG, Pelican KM, Goyal SM (2015) Description of the Microsporidian Parasite, Heterosporis sutherlandae n. sp., Infecting Fish in the Great Lakes Region, USA. PLoS ONE 10(8): e0132027. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0132027
- Escobar, L. E., Kurath, G., Escobar-Dodero, J., Craft, M. E. and Phelps, N. B. D. (2016), Potential distribution of the viral haemorrhagic septicaemia virus in the Great Lakes region. Journal of Fish Diseases. doi: 10.1111/jfd.12490
- Phelps, N., Craft, M.E., Travis, D., Pelican, K., Goyal, S.M. (2014) Risk-Based Management of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus in Minnesota, North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 34:2, 373-379, DOI:10.1080/02755947.2014.880766
- Phelps, N., Goodwin, A., Marecaux, E., Goyal, S. 2013. Comparison of treatments to inactivate viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus in frozen baitfish. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 102:211-216.
- Phelps, N., D. Patnayak, Y. Jiang, S. M. Goyal. 2012. The use of a one-step real-time reverse transcriptase PCR (rRT-PCR) assay for the surveillance of viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus (VHSV) in Minnesota. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 24:238-243
- Mor, S. K., N. B. D. Phelps. 2016. Molecular detection of a novel totivirus from golden shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas) baitfish in the USA. Archives of Virology 161(8): 2227-2234.
- Mor, S. K., N. B. D. Phelps, T. F. F. Ng, K. Subramaniam, A. Primus, A. G. Armien, R. McCann, C. Puzach, T. Waltzek. 2017. Genomic characterization of a novel calicivirus, FHMCV-2012, from baitfish in the USA. Archives of Virology doi:10.1007/s00705-017-3519-6.
- Mor, S. K., N. B. D. Phelps. 2016. Detection and molecular characterization of a novel piscine myocarditis-like virus from baitfish in the USA. Archives of Virology 161:1925-1931.
- Mor, S. K., N. B. D. Phelps, M. Barbknecht, M. A. Hoffman, S. M. Goyal. 2015. A multiplex RT-PCR for the detection of fish picornaviruses. Journal of Virological Methods 211:131-134
- Phelps, N. B. D., S. K. Mor, A. G. Armien, W. Batts, A. E. Goodwin, L. Hopper, R. McCann, T. F. F. Ng, C. Puzach, T. B. Waltzek, E. Delwart, J. Winton, S. Goyal. 2014. Characterization of the novel fathead minnow picornavirus. PLOS One 9:e87593.
- Qiao, H., Peterson, A. T., Campbell, L. P., Soberón, J., Ji, L. and Escobar, L. E. (2016), NicheA: creating virtual species and ecological niches in multivariate environmental scenarios. Ecography. doi: 10.1111/ecog.01961
- Escobar, L. E., S. Mallez, M. McCartney, C. Lee, D. P. Zielinski, R. Ghosal, P. G. Bajer, C. Wagner, B. Nash, M. Tomamichel, P. Venturelli, P. P. Mathai, A. Kokotovich, J. Escobar-Dodero, N. B. D. Phelps. 2017. Aquatic invasive species in the Great Lakes region: An overview. Reviews in Fisheries Science and Aquaculture 26:1 121-138.
- Kanankege, K. S. T., M. A. Alkhamis, N. B. D. Phelps, A. M. Perez. 2017. A probability co-kriging model to account for reporting bias and recognize areas at high risk for zebra mussel and Eurasian watermilfoil invasions in Minnesota. Frontiers in Veterinary Science.